This weekend I finally got around to a bit of sewing, I’ve been meaning to work on a project for weeks now, perhaps even months. I’ve certainly had the pattern sitting on my shelf for two months, looking at me all accusingly, saying “When are you going to sew me then?”. Well finally I decided the moment was now. The pattern in question was the Schoolhouse Tunic from Sew Liberated. Ever since I saw it on Meg’s website I’ve been in love with the idea of making one but simultaneously worried about the complexity.
On Saturday I decided to bite the bullet and cut out the pattern, from then on I was a woman possessed! I followed along with Meg’s simple instructions, step-by-step, bringing me a little closer each time to having a finished piece of clothing. I struggled a bit with fixing the sleeves in place but with a little perseverance I got there. After about 3 1/2 hours of cutting and sewing on Saturday evening I had a partially finished garment that I happily finished off on Sunday morning and wore all day long.
This is definitely the most complicated garment I’ve ever made and it was a challenge but I was happily surprised by the wonderful results. The pattern worked beautifully and Meg’s instructions were excellent, allowing me to work carefully through each step and achieve something that fit me perfectly, keeping me comfortably cosy all day long. This has fired me up to do more sewing and challenge myself to try another project, I’ll keep you posted!
I’m sure you’d like to join me in sending healing thoughts out to Meg’s new little son who has just undergone heart surgery. I’m sending my humble hopes and prayers to this inspiring woman and her family, wishing them strength and healing over the coming days.